The Digital Recruitment Company is working with a fantastic governing body who provides strategic leadership and vision for protecting and improving the nation’s health. Its ambition is to lead nationally and enable locally a transformation in the health expectations of all people in England regardless of where they live and the circumstance of their birth. It will achieve this through the application of research, knowledge and skills. It is a distinct delivery organisation with operational autonomy to advise and support Government, local authorities and the NHS in a professionally independent manner.
As a Dev Ops Engineer you’ll share our responsibility to deliver objectives of transforming the heath expectations of all people in England. You will be responsible for supporting products and services for staff and the general public that will support to empower individuals to make healthy changes in their lifestyles. You will thrive using agile methods and enjoy working collaboratively and as part of a multidisciplinary team.
They are looking for someone to build, run and improve our cloud infrastructure, which includes our portfolio of mobile apps. The role will also involve supporting our increasing number of platforms that aim to ease and improve the development of our public facing services.
With you supporting and managing our varied technology stacks, we can focus on transforming services across government to meet user needs. You will have the opportunity to move between our projects, ensuring the infrastructure in each is secure, available, maintainable and scalable.
A passion for technology and efficiency is essential to this role. You will be keen to work closely with developers, sharing responsibility with them for operational support (in and out of hours). You will be comfortable using cloud services running Linux and be familiar with approaches such as infrastructure as code, continuous deployment, and agile development.
There is also an opportunity to participate in the growing web operations community within government while working amongst an excellent peer group.
Key Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Lead development and rollout of a continuous integration and deployment pipeline across Digital’s estate of apps and services, use of containerisation techniques where appropriate, and working collaboratively with other departments
- Support developers, system administrators and technical architects to use DevOps approaches to design, architect, automate and implement highly-available and fault-tolerant environments (staging, quality assurance, user acceptance and production), with multi-cloud capability primarily starting on AWS.
- Work with technical colleagues to define and implement DevOps methodology using practices recommended in the GDS Digital by Default Service Standard. Support the team to extend our continuous integration pipeline across our estate of apps and services
- Write infrastructure as code using AWS Elastic Beanstalk or similar. Use cross-platform APIs and automation/deployment technologies such as Ansible or similar to orchestrate cloud platform deployments
- Support and fix bugs in existing application deployment pipelines, using standard debugging tools to track down and identify root causes. Work independently to find solutions / identify problems and to work with the Technical Lead to solve more challenging issues
- Review existing applications, advising and supporting colleagues on configuring and converting them for deployment to the cloud or migrate from other cloud providers to AWS. Support setting up continuous integration/deployment, developing automation scripts and advising developers on adapting them to run in the cloud
- Working in sprints in a multidisciplinary scrum team, collaborate and liaise with delivery managers, product owners and other stakeholders to identify business requirements and implement user stories
- Collaborate and work with external developers and cloud service providers to ensure PHE derives the maximum benefit from any third party service providers and that the right knowledge is transferred in-house
- Continuously seek to improve your own knowledge of work areas, bringing your learning back into the team, and embrace the agile framework of software delivery. Support colleagues to reach full agility using DevOps best practices including continuous integrations, delivery, and release
- Consistently work to meet project deadlines and manage time effectively to deliver projects on budget
- Proficiency/experience with DevOps approaches to application testing and deployment
- Experience of automated deployment of applications/services to AWS
- Experience of implementing a continuous integration platform such as Jenkins using repeatable deployment patterns
- Knowledge/experience of appropriate standards, methods and tools to design systems using DevOps principles
- Knowledge/experience of cloud automation technologies such as Ansible, Terraform or Elastic Beanstalk
- Experience of containerisation or microservices technologies and techniques, such as Docker or Kubernetes